Y.P.M.N.E. Bank (a tribute to Y.P.M., a prominent Social Worker and Philanthropist) is the first eye bank in Gurgaon initiated and established in 2005 with the commendable assistance of Tej Kohli Foundation. The purpose behind this venture has been the total eradication of corneal blindness. Duly recognized by the Haryana Govt. the bank is well equipped and has a helpline to respond immediately to eye donation/information request calls (1919 (toll free BSNL)/ 0124-2254848).
We have 6.8 million corneal blind persons in India. On an average almost 30,000 new cases of corneal blindness are added to this list every year. Out of almost 10 million deaths every year in India, the number of corneal donation is just 30,000.This highlights the pathetic hopelessness of the situation. The main reason is ignorance/lack of awareness among common masses in urban as well as rural areas. Now is the high time when urgency of the situation must be realized and intensive as well as extensive steps must be undertaken to come out of this alarming situation so that more and more unfortunate sufferers of corneal Blindness may get vision and enjoy the beauties of this colorful world as well as join the great task of building a New India. The dream of maximum corneal Transplants can be realized only when we have an encouraging continuous support of retrieved cornea from dying people. Despite all the advances and progress made in medical science & technology, there is no man made substitute available for human cornea and the issue of rectifiable blindness still poses a great challenge.
- Eradication of Corneal Blindness,
- Providing counseling to eye donors,
- Motivating people for eye donation.
- Counselling to the patients.
- Eye care consultation and medicine.
- Referral to other services as per their need.
- 6 lakh patients have been treated so far at the centers by NCT.
- At every center two local volunteers are facilitating the center i.e. sense of ownership is developing among the community; it ensures the sustenance of the programme.